This update introduces a lot of new features, including a PDF viewer, OpenOffice.org integration on Mac OSX and Linux, and many more. Interface issues, and a number of bugs are also addressed in this release, as well as improvements to the overall stability.
Just to give you a teaser – this is how it looks like to add notes to PDF documents:
- Built-in PDF viewer for viewing PDFs directly in Mendeley Desktop
- Support for annotating PDF files (syncing notes to and from Mendeley Web is planned for the next release)
- Many additional online lookups (CrossRef, PubMed, Google Scholar)
- Public document collections (reading lists) which can be embedded on other websites
- OpenOffice.org Writer plugin for Mac OSX & Linux
- Improved native user interface for Mac OSX
- Individual synchronization and privacy settings for each document collection
- Auto-save changes and undo functionality for quick document detail editing
- Flagging documents as favorites
- Marking a document as read, or unread
- Detecting duplicate documents when importing library files or PDFs
- Merging together document authors, tags, keywords or publications
- Editing document details, or tags for multiple documents simultaneously
- New “Trash” collection so you can restore deleted documents
- Changes to the toolbar and terminology in light of usability tests
- Better handling of documents with unconfirmed details
- More robust synchronization between Mendeley Desktop and Mendeley Web
- Search results are presented in a much easier to read format
- Searching for documents now searches the document details, as well the PDF text
- Detect and handle duplicate citation keys being used when exporting to BibTeX format
- Improved full-text indexing stability for search
- Allow documents to be renamed without the file organizer being enabled
- Clean up the formatting of exported citations
- Handle tags and keywords properly when exporting to BibTex format
- File organizer stability fixes
- Corrections to various citation styles
- Plus many more…
So no time to waste – visit our download page and give it a try, would be great to hear what you think! 🙂 Also, thanks a lot for all the feedback from our leadusers who helped us polishing this new version.
Please note: As part of the upgrade process, if you have an online account already, Mendeley Desktop will need to perform a full sync when it next starts. This may take some time depending on the size of your library. It is a one-off sync that is required to ensure compatibility with an upgraded sync method.
If you have suggestions how to improve managing research papers with the Mendeley reference manager please let us know by visiting our feedback forum. If you encounter any problems using Mendeley or have questions to ask, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.