We’re happy to announce several new features and important upgrades in this latest release. The most important ones are:
Bibliography generator plugin for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac:
This has been one of the most frequently requested features by our Mac users – now it’s here! Therefore, bibliography creation is now supported in Word and OpenOffice on all three platforms (Win, Mac and Linux). It’s just the first iteration, so we’ll continue to work on it and add more functionality. Please let us know what you think at http://feedback.mendeley.com.
Collaborative PDF annotation using sticky notes and highlights:
This has been a repeated request by research groups, labs and departments using Mendeley. PDF sticky notes and highlights are now synced with Mendeley Web, meaning that in Shared Collections you can now see each of your colleagues’ annotations separately and color-coded. In addition, there’s a major upgrade to the PDF viewer – it will now render the displayed PDF document instantly, no more pre-caching!
XMP metadata now extracted from PDFs:
This is a behind-the-scenes upgrade – Mendeley will now read embedded XMP metadata from PDFs where available (Nature and Elsevier journals, among others, now provide this routinely), boosting the metadata extraction quality. Even where there is no embedded XMP metadata, the algorithms for detecting authors and titles have also been improved.
Because of necessary changes to our server architecture, older Mendeley Desktop versions are required to upgrade to this latest beta version to continue using Mendeley’s online features – we’ll try not to make a habit of doing this.
Here is the full list of improvements and bug fixes:
- PDF annotations are now synchronized with Mendeley Web. In shared collections multiple users can add notes or highlights to documents.
- Added an importer for Ovid Reprints/Medlars format files.
- PDF import will make use of embedded XMP metadata if it is present and appears to be accurate.
- (Mac) First version of Mac Word plugin. Please note: Currently the Mac Word plugin supports Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac. Word 2004 and earlier are not yet supported.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for selecting, highlighting and adding notes.
- Newly imported documents are highlighted after import.
- The updater will now ask for the administrator password if necessary during update installation on Linux and Mac.
- Added ‘Copy LaTeX Citation’ action to documents list right-click menu.
- Improvements to accuracy of automated author and title extraction from PDFs.
- Add the ability to drag-and-drop any file type into Mendeley Desktop. If the file type is not supported by one of the importers then a new document is created with the file attached.
- Smoother scrolling in PDF viewer.
- ‘Search by Title’ and DOI lookups will now retain the full names of authors if the lookup comes back with only initials if the initials and the full names agree.
- Fixed a recent problem with links between new documents and file attachments being lost for some users when syncing and a message warning that recently synced documents had been deleted on Mendeley Web.
- Fixed crashes when exiting full-screen mode in PDF viewer.
- Fixed red border around PDF content on PowerPC Macs.
- Fixed local library data not being migrated correctly when changing email address in Mendeley Desktop.
- Added additional verification of backups before restoring to web in the ‘Restore Backup’ feature.
- File space usage shown in Preferences dialog did not update after syncing.
- Incorrect progress messages were shown in the status bar when importing a PDF.
- Fixed problem where starting a ‘Search by Title’ lookup for one document and then switching to another document before the results came back would apply the changes to the wrong document.
- Fixed crash when performing DOI lookups in ‘Add New Document’ dialog.
- The PDF viewer no longer creates temporary copies of opened PDF files on disk.
- Fixed problem where only the first page of certain multi-page PDFs were shown in the viewer.
- Fixed problem where search in a PDF viewer tab would not find matches on the last page of the PDF.
- Fixed file organiser renaming failing on Windows for documents where the title, authors or publication name contained double quotes.
- If uploading a file to Mendeley Web fails because the file is too large, the sync now continues uploading other attachments.
- Fixed a problem which could cause Mendeley Desktop to loop continuously during sync.
- Fixed PARSEFAILED error when syncing if certain characters appeared in imported documents.
- Fixed long delay when opening the citation style browser.
- Fixed long delay when opening the Tools -> Options menu on some systems.
- Fixed incorrect documents being shown when searching for certain tags.
- Fixed error about LinkToMendeleyVba.dll not being found on some Windows systems.
- Fixed various crashes when syncing after removing shared collections on the web.
If you have suggestions for improvements please let us know by visiting the feedback forum at http://feedback.mendeley.com. If you encounter any problems using Mendeley or have questions to ask please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!