Have you ever had to quickly send a reference to someone by email or instant message (IM)? How about send a list of references at once? This can be quite a task if you have to open each PDF, copy the title, author, journal, year, etc. And format them in an email or IM reply.
For these cases, and anywhere you’d like to rapidly copy and paste one or multiple references, Mendeley Desktop has got you covered.
- Open Mendeley Desktop.
- Find the folder or group of references you are interested.
- Select one or more entries using your mouse (you might need to use CTRL, SHIFT and/or CMD to select multiple entries)
- Use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+C (CMD+C for Mac) to copy. Alternatively you can use the menu “Edit > Copy”.
- In your email, IM, Google Docs or any other text editing field, paste the content you just copied. Do so by pressing CTRL+V (CMD+V for Mac) or the menu “Edit > Paste”.
- There you have it! Formatted references in a few quick steps. Select references, copy, and paste.
Quick note for those paying closer attention: you can also copy the references as LaTeX so the crafty LaTeX users can also enjoy the fun (CTRL+K or CMD+K for Mac)!
Another quick note: You can change the default formatting used in Mendeley Desktop by going to the menu “View > Citation Style”. There are quite a few styles to select from, so enjoy.
Stay tuned for the next entry in this twelve-part series of how-to posts. We’ll be going over supplementary data.
Previous How-to series entries:
- How to merge author names
- How to drag and drop PDF links into Mendeley for direct download
- Generate BibTeX files for your collections for use in LaTeX
- How to check for duplicate entries and merging