The London Web Summit is doing something a little different this year. Instead of having a panel of presumed experts judge sites and hand out awards, they’re opening up the process to everyone. Here’s your chance to tell the world that you value companies that are doing something truly useful for the world, as opposed to just another photo sharing or coupon pushing app. We’re now in the top 10 by votes, but we need a little more help. The research community may be small, but its voice is loud. Get yours heard.
At Mendeley, we’re all about easy collaboration in the cloud, so of course we’re delighted that Hojoki has added us as an activity source. Hojoki lets you see all the activity from all your cloud apps in one shared stream, and share filtered subsets of those activities with colleagues & co-workers. It’s a great way to keep on top of what everyone is doing without having to separately watch Dropbox, Google Docs, Evernote, Github, and your various Mendeley group activity feeds. It was actually silly fun watching the live feed, too. As people went about their daily work editing documents and scheduling appointments in folders and calendars I’m subscribed to, they showed up in in nearly real-time on my Hojoki feed.
To celebrate the addition of Mendeley (beta only for now), we’re doing a t-shirt giveaway of these awesome shirts featuring the Hojoki robot and Mendeley. Watch #mendeley for your chance to win one & if you haven’t tried Hojoki yet, give it a try.
A preview release of Mendeley Desktop 1.5 is available. Improvements in this release include:
- Re-worked Windows Word plugin which adds support for 64bit Word 2010, improves document refresh performance, fixes several plugin installation problems and should help to improve stability.
- The Undo/Redo buttons in Word 2010 can now be used to undo or redo changes made with the Mendeley plugin.
- Several improvements to EndNote, RIS and BibTeX import/export
- Compatibility with Ubuntu 12.04 (this also fixes problems under recent Fedora and OpenSuSE releases)
- This preview release automatically syncs changes from Mendeley Desktop to Mendeley Web. We may change this before the final release.
This is a preview release, so if you have a deadline coming up, please stick with the stable release. Otherwise, we appreciate help in testing preview releases, especially the Word plugin changes in this update.
Download: Mendeley 1.5 Preview
Release Notes: Release notes for 1.5
Feedback: If you have any problems with the preview, please report them in our support forum. Please note which version you are using.
For developers, the code for the OpenOffice / LibreOffice plugin is now hosted on Github and this includes a set of Python APIs to use Mendeley’s Word processor integration.